Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Treatment Begins


This picture was taken at Kyle's 8th grade graduation, May 2007.

On June 12th, 2007, the 3 month supply (FREE) from the drug company arrived. We were to notify a home-health agency when we were ready to have a nurse come over and explain how to give the shots. A few days later, we were all sitting in our dining room, listening and watching the nurse explain the procedure. The shot is to be given subcutaneously (just under the skin) in the fatty part of the arm, the thigh, or the back. It's also a good idea to switch the places where the injection is given to avoid scar tissue buildup. The nurse explained that some kids give the shots to themselves, but others have their parents do it. Kyle opted for the parents doing it and I opted out quickly, leaving my husband to be the one left standing. I could do it if I HAD to, but the way I saw it, I didn't have to. After we felt comfortable with the procedure and had exhausted all our questions, the nurse left us with her phone number in case we had further questions arise.

That night, it was time. We prepared the area (by we, I don't mean me), we dialed the amount of growth hormone and my husband proceeded to give Kyle the shot. It's a tiny needle, so mainly it just felt like a little sting. The medicine burned a little while being injected, but not too bad. The first treatment was complete. I did not expect an overnight growth spurt. I had read that it can take up to one year before you start seeing results.

Kyle's prescription was for 2.035 MG per day, 6 days a week.

It was time, alright. Time to hurry up and wait...

No comments: